Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

is an honararium for joining a housing association tenant panel classed as income?

johnny
forum member

money advice, midland heart HA, birmingham

Send message

Total Posts: 39

i work for a housing association and we are some inviting tenants to join a “Customer & Community Committee membership” for this they will receive an honararium of £1000 yearly

would this be seen as income for any tenants on income based benefits?

many thanks

Kevin D
forum member

Independent HB/CTB administrator, consultant & trainer (Essex)

Send message

Total Posts: 474

Hmmm…  My initial instinct was that this *could* be regarded as earnings.  Even if not earnings, unearned income.  Off the top of my head, I can’t think of any way this could be disregarded.  It would be difficult for it to be regarded as voluntary income because it is being paid in return for something - it isn’t “no strings”.  Others may have further thoughts.

dallsop
forum member

benefits consultant

Send message

Total Posts: 1

The word “honararium” is not mentioned in any of the “blue book” legislation or the DMG or HBGM. Therefore I suggest that it should be treated as other income.

Ariadne
forum member

Social policy coordinator, CAB, Basingstoke

Send message

Total Posts: 504

Isn’t it the same problem as being paid for membership of any other organisation such as an NHS trust, being a local councillor etc?
If it is taxable under PAYE, then it’s earnings, in my view.

Stainsby
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Plumstead Community Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 619

The amendment is now HB Reg 35(2)(d)

(2) Earnings shall not include–

(d) any payment in respect of expenses arising out of the claimant’s participation in a service user group.

“Service user group ” is defined in Reg 2,
“service user group” means a group of individuals that is consulted by or on behalf of–...

(b) a landlord authority in consequence of a function under section 105 of the Housing Act 1985,”

Section 105 of the 1985 Housing Act refers to consultation with those who are secure tenants, and so I dont see the honorarium for members of the residents panel in the present case as a payment in respect of expenses arising out of the claimants particpation in a service user group as defined by Reg 2.

The honorarium may not be payment of expenses but compensation for the time given by the residents. 

I believe that honoraria are taxable as earnings

johnny
forum member

money advice, midland heart HA, birmingham

Send message

Total Posts: 39

excellent replies, thanks to all.

i’m just about to help one of tenant’s chllenge the DWP decision that an honararium is income included for benefits. i shall let you know the outcome when it arrives