to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Stop further harassment of ESA claimants

Wendy M
forum member

Ravenscliffe Advice Centre Bradford

Send message

Total Posts: 6

I have started a petition “Stop further harassment of ESA claimants”. I just hope we can get the government to agree to pay ESA claimants during the whole dispute process. Please sign this petition & give it as much publicity as you can. You can read more and sign the petition here:
http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/ian-duncan-smith-targets-the-sick-vulnerable
It’s almost like we have been hit by so many terrible changes from this government that the advice sector has given up fighting back. But if we don’t at least try we will get nowhere!

Wendy M
forum member

Send message

I am disappointed that no one has commented! This is a scandalous attempt to restrict access to justice for the most disadvantaged and vulnerable in our society. Please do not let it pass without protest.

johnny
forum member

money advice, midland heart HA, birmingham

Send message

Total Posts: 39

hi wendy

i’ve just signed it. good work

Nicky
forum member

Supervisor Welfare Benefits, Barrow-in-Furness, Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 239

I’m with Tony on this one - i’m not prepared to sign anything where i can’t opt out of receiving e-mails i have no interest in.

If someone knows of a way to opt out and wants to share i’ll happily support this petition by signing.

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2908

I have signed - being self-employed I don’t have to worry about clogging my employer’s server with spam so I will just happily ignore any unwanted emails (as I already do from a 101 other sources)

Sharon M
forum member

Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 68

Signed.

Wendy M
forum member

Send message

Nicky - 30 September 2013 12:35 PM

I’m with Tony on this one - i’m not prepared to sign anything where i can’t opt out of receiving e-mails i have no interest in.

If someone knows of a way to opt out and wants to share i’ll happily support this petition by signing.

At the bottom of the email 38 degrees sends you thanking you for signing up for the campaign there is an option to unsubscribe. Just click on this & you shouldn’t get any more emails from them. Let me know if this doesn’t work & I will take it up with 38 degrees.

johnny
forum member

money advice, midland heart HA, birmingham

Send message

Total Posts: 39

i’ve signed a few 38 degrees petitons over the last 6 months. my experience is that they very rarely send me spam or unwanted messages. i think i probably get details of campaigns about once a month from them

curiously they didn’t send me a mail about this particular campaign, i wish they had have as i may have missed it otherwise

Nicky
forum member

Supervisor Welfare Benefits, Barrow-in-Furness, Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 239

Thanks Wendy. Have done it.

Lorraine Cooper
forum member

Family Support, Barnardo's, Merthyr Tydfil

Send message

Total Posts: 132

I think part of the level of emails received from 38 Degrees depends on the activity of the person who set up the petition. I am receiving emails every day in relation to one I signed with them, either asking me to sign something else, to donate funds, or to attend rallies, none of which are likely to happen.  Makes me very hesitant to sign another through them.

Wendy M
forum member

Send message

You are able to opt out of receiving further emails. Have you tried clicking the unsubscribe button at the bottom of the email they send you?

Ali L
forum member

Terrence Higgins Trust, Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 14

Hi Wendy, I’ve signed it as I’ve never had problems with 38 degrees, but I can’t see an unsubscribe button on the email, just an unsign, which I don’t want to do.

Wendy M
forum member

Send message

Ali L - 02 October 2013 04:08 PM

Hi Wendy, I’ve signed it as I’ve never had problems with 38 degrees, but I can’t see an unsubscribe button on the email, just an unsign, which I don’t want to do.

You’re right, there is no unsubscribe button on the acknowledgement- but there is one on any further email campaigns they send. So I guess you have to put up with receiving one possibly unwanted campaign before you can unsubscribe!