to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Medical evidence disregarded by tribunal panel

Welfare Rights Nottinghan City Council
forum member

Nottingham City Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 30

I have received a statement of reasons for a recent first-tier DLA tribunal and I’ve read that the medical evidence I acquired from the appellant’s GP has been disregarded. Instead, the tribunal preferred the GP’s report that was requested by DWP as it was closer to the time of the decision.

The date of the GP’s report pre-dates the decision as it was used in the decision making process. This going to be the case for the majority of the time. I requested my evidence from the same GP as soon as I met the appellant for the first time, so couldn’t have acquired it any sooner.

The problem is that the evidences are somewhat contradictory; when the DWP asked the GP to comment on his ability to self-care, the GP remarked ‘OK’ as they did on his ability to get around, but when I asked the GP to comment on the descriptions given by the appellant of their care and mobility needs, the GP fully agreed with the appellant’s detailed descriptions.

I believe there is some caselaw about not disregarding medical evidence acquired after the date of the decision but am struggling to find it. Can anyone help? Thanks

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

Here’s one.  There are others.  However, I’d argue that the tribunal erred because it relied on a report of a G.P. that was later contradicted by the same G.P. and, therefore, unless there were other considerations, had no probative value.

File Attachments

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

There is also R(DLA)2/01 and R(DLA) 3/01

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3782