to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

DLA children with Haemophilia

Anne Higgins
forum member

Welfare rights officer - North Lanarkshire Council

Send message

Total Posts: 42

Child age 5 although 4 when renewal claim made). Had been in receipt of middle rate care.  Renewal form completed by mother but on looking at claim pack it does not really suit a haemophiliac.  He has no physical disabilities or mental health isues, but if he has a knock of the slightest and it starts to bleed inwardly he has to be taken straight to children’s hospital.  Sometimes the bleed is invisible.  School nurse and teachers contact mum if there is the slightest incident and she has to go to school and check if he requires attention.  During the night he has to be checked on at least three to four times as he moves about the bed and bangs his limbs and mum has to make sure of no bleeds.  Renewal claim has been disallowed on all components.  Anyone know of any Commissioner’s decisions on haemophilia?

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 872

Anne Higgins - 26 September 2013 01:10 PM

Child age 5 although 4 when renewal claim made). Had been in receipt of middle rate care.  Renewal form completed by mother but on looking at claim pack it does not really suit a haemophiliac.  He has no physical disabilities or mental health isues, but if he has a knock of the slightest and it starts to bleed inwardly he has to be taken straight to children’s hospital.  Sometimes the bleed is invisible.  School nurse and teachers contact mum if there is the slightest incident and she has to go to school and check if he requires attention.  During the night he has to be checked on at least three to four times as he moves about the bed and bangs his limbs and mum has to make sure of no bleeds.  Renewal claim has been disallowed on all components.  Anyone know of any Commissioner’s decisions on haemophilia?

just out of interest, how does the mum check to see if there is any bleeding?

Anne Higgins
forum member

Welfare rights officer - North Lanarkshire Council

Send message

Total Posts: 42

If he has a bump of any kind it raises higher than a normal childs and she has been trained to know that it is bleeding internally if this happens.  Other people however don’t know the difference

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

I don’t know of any particular caselaw in relation to children with Haemophilia but I’m not sure you need any. I think you just need to focus on the facts of the case and on whether there is a substantial risk to the child’s health if continual supervision is not provided.

How frequently does the child have to be taken to hospital? If that can be documented it would be a good start.

Andrew Hansard
forum member

Advice Team, CVTRA (Castle Vale, Birmingham)

Send message

Total Posts: 18

Anne Higgins - 26 September 2013 01:10 PM

I’m sure it would be treated as a physical disability. It sounds to me like the child requires almost constant supervision during the day and frequently at night. It may be best to include a detailed letter enclosed with the claim explaining the circumstances. As long their is proof from a medical source of the haemophilia and possibly a letter from the school about what they’ve implemented because of the child’s needs there shouldn’t be to much of a problem with the child getting mid to high rate care component… No mobility comp unless other illnesses or disabilities.

Nicky
forum member

Supervisor Welfare Benefits, Barrow-in-Furness, Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 239

I’m really surprised….have never had a child with haemophilia refused DLA or awarded less than the MRC in the many years i’ve been doing the job.