to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Generating recoverable overpayments

ROBBO
forum member

Welfare rights team - Stockport Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 334

I was interviewing someone the other day, whose First Tier decision to place in the WRAG had been set aside, with a view to trying for the Support Group when it’s listed again.  Of course, this is someone who has now been paid all arrears due as a result of being placed in the WRAG the first time round. 

Given that all overpayments are recoverable if you hit the 2013 rules, it crossed my mind that if this had all started a few months later, and the next tribunal don’t think as much of his case as the last one, he could face a new decision finding him fit, with an overpayment to repay into the bargain.

I suppose the same could apply to anyone simply appealing to move into the support group.

Has this happened to anyone yet?  It’s probably true though, isn’t it?

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

He’s entitled to ESA until the appeal is determined and is treated as having LCW until the hearing so I don’t see where the overpayment would arise.

Tom H
forum member

Newcastle Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 783

Removed original post.  It would pay me to read new Decisions and Appeals Regs first. 

It’s a very interesting point Robbo and it could well deter people from appealing if you’re right.

[ Edited: 18 Sep 2013 at 10:29 pm by Tom H ]