to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Bedroom tax investigated by united nations housing official

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3784

A senior UN official is in the UK to scrutinise the impact of the bedroom tax on the human rights of people in low-income households.

The special rapporteur on housing, Raquel Rolnik, is on a two-week tour of cities where she will meet tenants affected by the policy as well as officials, campaigners and academics ...

Rolnik, who will reveal the initial findings of the unprecedented inspection next Wednesday, said the UK faced a unique moment when the challenge of providing adequate housing was “on the agenda”.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/sep/04/bedroom-tax-investigate-un-housing

Hoofer
forum member

halton CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 18

andyrichards
forum member

City services - Brighton and Hove City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 204

We can’t have a Brazilian woman telling us how to run the country.  Dave’s got an Australian bloke to do that….

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

After the Mail’s over the top piece about the UN special rapporteur, a more measured response in today’s Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/13/grant-shapps-un-bedroom-tax-outrage

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

andyrichards - 13 September 2013 10:36 AM

We can’t have a Brazilian woman telling us how to run the country.  Dave’s got an Australian bloke to do that….

Oh how I wish we had a ‘like’ button!

nevip
forum member

Send message

A like button!  I had no idea what that was until one of my colleagues told me it was a thingy that Mytwitterspacefacebook users use

forum member

Send message

Chortle! Actually, I feel very smug for knowing what a ‘like’ button is being as I am not of the facebook/twitter fraternity (and, indeed, am possibly the only person still in existence who doesn’t own a mobile phone).

nevip
forum member

Send message

Wot!  No mobile phone.  Now, I’m not down with the kids but you’re an absolute luddite.

forum member

Send message

I know. It’s a result that I can work an alarm clock. I should easily attract 15 points on the WCA learning tasks descriptor.

However, going back to topic, the Guardian article was spot on. I particularly liked the expression ‘pugilistic media posturing’. I must remember that.