to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Housing Benefit & income rules way, way back

efloyd
forum member

Financial & social inclusion officer - Isos Housing, Newcastle

Send message

Total Posts: 89

Can anyone ever recall that a Mineworkers Pension was ignored as income for HB purposes in the distant past?
I certainly cannot recall this - but maybe someone else can ?? We are looking 12+ years ago.

Thank you

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2004

Not AFAIK.  There were some special rules for the British Coal Redundant Mineworkers Pension which made it treated as an occupational pension and there were some special value transfer provisions for contracting out but nothing for HB that I know of.

Jac
forum member

Welfare benefits adviser - Melville Housing Association, Midlothian

Send message

Total Posts: 146

There was provision for War Pension to be fully disregarded under local schemes but don’t recall Mineworkers Pensions. There were also some issues around cash in lieu of coal at various times, and this was often the cause of overpayments as it is paid quarterly and often missed.

efloyd
forum member

Financial & social inclusion officer - Isos Housing, Newcastle

Send message

Total Posts: 89

Thank you for all the replies - very helpful.

FIT Advisor
forum member

benefit advice officer, three rivers housing association, co durham

Send message

Total Posts: 144

There was an amendment going back maybe 15 years ago that allowed the fuel allowance paid to mineworkers who opted out of free coal to be disregarded in full. But agree with other replies, in my experience the actual pensions have always been taken into consideration.

Lorraine Cooper
forum member

Family Support, Barnardo's, Merthyr Tydfil

Send message

Total Posts: 132

Concessionary coal, and Cash In Lieu of Concessionary Coal are disregarded in full as income, but I can’t recall any other specific mineworkers disregards, going back over my 16 years in HB (I really didn’t need to realise that. Feel old now)