to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

PIP medical

annief
forum member

Benefits adviser - Maggie's Centre, Edinburgh

Send message

Total Posts: 107

I attended a PIP medical with one of my clients on Wednesday.

I must say that it adds nothing extra to the process and I would not be surprised if my client is refused benefit.

We arrived 1/2 an hour early due to transport and the assessment centre was empty, so we were taken straight away. The assessor took 50 minutes asking about every medical condition the client had, when was it diagnosed, who diagnosed it etc, then noted every medicine she took, what was it for and did she have any side effects from it? All of which would have been on the PIP form.
Then came the “assessment” which consisted of tell me about a typical day from getting up in the morning to going to bed at night. The mobility questioning was reminiscent of ESA - how did you get here, did you travel on your own?
And the physical assessment was very basic muscle testing - “I’ll put my arm against your arm/leg and see if you can stop me moving it”. She did get a peak flow test as she had asthma, but that wasn’t the condition that gave her all her difficulties.
We were asked if there was anything else that we wanted to add. The client innocently said that she didn’t thinks so and I added all the things that I felt were not covered by the “questioning”, including that their literature stated it was a 6 minute walk to the assessment centre and my client took 15 minutes to do it!

Can anyone tell me if the clt was meant to see the typed report at the end of the medical because something in the back of my mind says she was meant to, but it was never offered to her.

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Methinks its time for an undercover reporter to apply for a job and attend ATOS/Capita training.

Given that the procedure is set out by DWP is anyone suprised that PIP assessments will be similar in format / lack of appropriate questioning etc. to WCA’s? - I thought not!

How did the HCP react to your asking questions actually relevant to the PIP daily living activities? Did they show any understanding of their relevance?

annief
forum member

Benefits adviser - Maggie's Centre, Edinburgh

Send message

Total Posts: 107

Peter Turville - 30 August 2013 12:29 PM

Methinks its time for an undercover reporter to apply for a job and attend ATOS/Capita training.

Given that the procedure is set out by DWP is anyone suprised that PIP assessments will be similar in format / lack of appropriate questioning etc. to WCA’s? - I thought not!

How did the HCP react to your asking questions actually relevant to the PIP daily living activities? Did they show any understanding of their relevance?

She didn’t seem to realise the relevance at all but just said, ‘I’ll add it to the report’ and merrily starting typing again. In fact at the end of the assessment my client became quite upset and starting crying, admitting that she was actually depressed. The assessor advised her that she should see her Gp to go onto anti-depressants and it seemed she couldn’t get us out of the door fast enough, despite me taking time to reassure the client that it was ok to be upset and advising her of what other help was available to her.

ikbikb
forum member

LSD WB supervisor - Bury District CAB, Lancashire

Send message

Total Posts: 146

‘things that I felt were not covered by the “questioning”, including that their literature stated it was a 6 minute walk to the assessment centre and my client took 15 minutes to do it!’

That means the medical was set up with a walking distance to get to it of a 1/4 of a mile! (Average walking speed 3mph) The criteria for PIP on mobility is errm?

S2uABZ
forum member

Money adviser - Aberdeen City Council Financial Inclusion Team

Send message

Total Posts: 130

ikbikb - 02 September 2013 08:59 AM

‘things that I felt were not covered by the “questioning”, including that their literature stated it was a 6 minute walk to the assessment centre and my client took 15 minutes to do it!’

That means the medical was set up with a walking distance to get to it of a 1/4 of a mile! (Average walking speed 3mph) The criteria for PIP on mobility is errm?

Hmm that sounds familiar, the ‘new’ PIP Assessment Centre for clients living in Aberdeen is approx. 16 miles outwith Aberdeen itself and then has a 500 yard walk from bus stop to assessment centre!! . . . anyone been successful in arranging home assessments for clients?

Nicky
forum member

Supervisor Welfare Benefits, Barrow-in-Furness, Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 239

Our clients have firstly been sent 50 miles to Lancaster only to get there and be told they shouldn’t be there and there’s no-one there to examine them and sent away and then are being sent home visit appointments.

We have still to have any decision on PIP for a client who is not terminally ill.

Complaints are being submitted thick and fast.