to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Tribunal holds, ” Alcoholism is a lifestyle” choice

Lawtcrav
forum member

Halton Disability Advice & Appeals Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 53

The above phrase was used in the written reasons in respect of a 31 y.o. male alcoholic.mLeveson censured me because I argued that this was bigotry and lacked objectivity from a judge and doctor sitting on an ESA tribunal. At best it indicates a training need. As far as I am concerned these type of prejudiced subjective views ought to be resigned to history. To suggest an alcoholic or any other addict has any choice in the matter is outrageous. Leveson also held that there is nothing else in the evidence to suggest the appellant has limited capability for work or work related activity. What happened to Charlton?
As far as I am concerned this aptly examples the growing prejudices that most tribunals exhibit against appellants nowadays. The fact that Leveson censured me for saying so, only confirms my point of view. We reps put in a lot of hard work for our appellants. Is it too much to expect a tribunal to be unbiased and objective. I am considering a JR. Anyone know a good barrister.  End of rant!!!

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 872

unfortunately tribunals can say that a client “chooses” to drink. as long as they have properly looked at all the circumstances of the individual client.  thankfully I have found that when tribunals say this they often fail to properly record their reasons for the decision they have reached.

Lawtcrav
forum member

Send message

Thanks for the quick response,mI agree but when the tribunal does state this, it is demonstrating unlawful discrimination against an ill or disabled person. The WHO classifies alcoholism as a disease. There may be a debate about this but not by a tribunal.

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 872

Lawtcrav - 23 August 2013 08:53 AM

Thanks for the quick response,mI agree but when the tribunal does state this, it is demonstrating unlawful discrimination against an ill or disabled person. The WHO classifies alcoholism as a disease. There may be a debate about this but not by a tribunal.

I think the problem is first the tribunal need to accept that it is a disease rather than a choice which is where the weighing of evidence comes in to allow them to make that decision.

I cant think of any cases I have had where I would have said a client was “choosing” to drink but I suppose in theory such a person could exist.

there was a recent upper tribunal decision where it was said it had to be distinguished between taking a small glass of beer before going to work or drinking a more substantial amount.  I don’t know about the upper tribunal judges bosses but neither would wash in any job I have ever been in.

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

See CSE/496/2012 ...

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3784

meanwhile .... Edinburgh Council is denying emergency hardship payments to tenants affected by the bedroom tax if they spend too much on non-essential items such as cigarettes and alcohol.

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/regulation/cut-back-on-fags-and-booze-to-get-dhps-council-says/6528266.article

Lawtcrav
forum member

Send message

shawn - 23 August 2013 11:14 AM

meanwhile .... Edinburgh Council is denying emergency hardship payments to tenants affected by the bedroom tax if they spend too much on non-essential items such as cigarettes and alcohol.

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/regulation/cut-back-on-fags-and-booze-to-get-dhps-council-says/6528266.

Alcohol causes disabilities therefore this might be unlawful discrimination.m

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

shawn - 23 August 2013 11:14 AM

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/regulation/cut-back-on-fags-and-booze-to-get-dhps-council-says/6528266.article

If anyone’s got a hand on these cases Stephensons are actively looking for examples to litigate. Our erstwhile contributor Ryan Bradshaw has asked me to canvas for examples…

Lawtcrav
forum member

Send message

It wouldn’t surprise me if most Councils are applying similar criteria. It may be an idea for Stephensons to put in FOI requests to larger authorities or check the criteria online.