Changes to Pension credit plus benefit cap and bedroom tax

PCLC
forum member

Benefits Supervisor - Plumstead Law Centre, London

Send message

Total Posts: 240

Hi all

I am confused by the following and can’t find the answers in CPAG handbook;

1. When does the rule that both members of a couple have to be over SRP age for a woman come in, or is it already in?

2. With regard to benefit cap and bedroom tax, is it still sufficient that only one member of a couple be over SRP age for a woman?

3. If yes, will this change due to (1)?

4. Are there any plans to put a capital limit into PC ( I had heard somewhere that there was??)

5. When will housing cost plus child additions be introduced to PC?

Many thanks for your help!

RMR
forum member

Senior welfare & benefits advisor - Sutton Borough CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 34

I can answer a couple of your questions.
1 & 3. This ruling comes into effect with Universal Credit. In a letter dated Dec 8th 2012,  Pension Minister Steve Webb stated that ” Those couples who are already receiving Pension Credit at the time the change is introduced will remain entitled to Pension Credit unless that entitlement ends for some other reason”  He has then written beside this statement “-and we will be phasing in this change over several years”

2. He also stated that “I can confirm that we have taken powers in the Welfare Reform Act 2012 which will mean that couples, where one is over and one is under the qualifying age, will not have access to Pension Credit but will be required to claim Universal Credit.” 

This means these couples will are subject to all working age rule, capital limits, bedroom tax, they are not protected from Council Tax increases.  They would also fall foul of the Benefit Cap as they would be claiming either Income Support, JSA or ESA. State Pension for the older partner counts as capital.

PCLC
forum member

Benefits Supervisor - Plumstead Law Centre, London

Send message

Total Posts: 240

Just seen post of 07/06 - think that answers it!