Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

new HB claim for WTC recipient after October

AndreaM
forum member

Debt team - Citizens Advice Southwark

Send message

Total Posts: 123

Not sure this is in the right place - should this under UC maybe
One of my clients working part-time and getting WTC.  She is not getting HB at the moment and her hours keep going up and down. Because of the fluctuating pay, she might actually find it easier to manage on UC - if the system would work correctly, and subject to problems she might with conditionality.  I looked at the this information here http://www.dwp.gov.uk/local-authority-staff/universal-credit-information/  It looks to me as if making a new claim for HB even after October would not get her onto UC for a while, and she can safely disregard UC as an option for the near to medium future. Is this correct?

andyrichards
forum member

City services - Brighton and Hove City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 204

AndreaM
forum member

Debt team - Citizens Advice Southwark

Send message

Total Posts: 123

She is LBHF, I am not sure yet whether she is the right postcode or right Jobcentre for the UC October roll out. But but even if she is, I understood from the government info for HB staff that initially it would only affect new HB claims for people out of work.

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2908

Until we see new or amended UC pathfinder regs it is difficult to be sure, but judging by the very limited scale of the existing pilots it seems unlikely that UC will broaden its scope as early as October to include people outside the job-seeking client group and even if it does I would think that voluntary migration by existing in-work Tax Credit claimants will be very low down the list of potential UC claimants.  I think your client can make her plans for the medium term on a reasonably safe assumption that she won’t be either forced or even allowed to claim UC any time soon.