to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

DLA - a product of its time?

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1964

‘Disability Living Allowance is an outdated benefit introduced over 20 years ago and was very much a product of its time’ (Esther McVey) - see rightsnet news.

What, it’s got a bowl-haircut and an Inspiral Carpets t-shirt or something? What IS this burble?

The government has effectively redefined disability, and as Scope point out, the main aim is cost-cutting not a ‘modern’ benefit system, and all we get is propagandist whitewash like this.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Not so sure it has “re-defined” disability as produced something they think is based on the social model. Civil servants don’t “get” the social model so the medical model has been overlaid. A mess by any other name. However, I do think they will rue the day they allowed the 50% rule to wheedle its way through. I have dreams about the case law that’s going to create over the next 20 years until PIP is seen as a product of its time - driven by cuts and coalition.

Steve_h
forum member

Welfare Rights- AIW Health

Send message

Total Posts: 193

What this tells me is that these politicians know nothing about benefits

Under DLA even with indefinite awards the DWP periodically send forms to clients to check entitlement.

New awards were hardly ever made without some form of medical evidence.

So what changes does PIP bring - none, other than to limit or restrict the amount of very vulnerable people who will be eligible