Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

School leavers off to Uni, are they disregarded for C/T purposes? Is this reliant on parents Ch Ben claim?

tash burden
forum member

Housing Advice at University of Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 1

Hi there

I’m brand new here today. Also not much of a benefits advisor, more a housing one, so please bear with me.

I’m trying to establish whether school leavers who go straight to University the same year they leave school are disregarded for Council Tax purposes and whether this is just down to whether their parent/s have claimed the child benefit extension. Also, if they are disregarded, does this continue to be the case if they move into their own self contained private accommodation. Also, if it’s all dependent on the Child Benefit extension, then I assume that means that in families who aren’t now eligible to receive Child Benefit, their child is not disregarded for Council Tax purposes.

Any advice would be most gratefully received

Many thanks

Tash

Jane OP
forum member

The National Autistic Society, Welfare Rights, Nottingham

Send message

Total Posts: 161

Hi Tash,

There is a separate disregard for school leavers but it only applies from 1 May to 31 October for the summer they leave school.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1992/552/made

I think this disregard could apply to people living alone, or away from parents.

Cheers

Jane