to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

Decisions revised on reconsideration - reps not being told

nottsadvisor
forum member

Welfare rights - Nottingham City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 129

I have recently had a numer of appeals lapse because the DWP revised the decison in the clients favour prior to the case being forwarded to TTS. The revised decision goes out to the client but I have been told that ‘the system’ does not generate a letter to the rep even if one is in place, so in effect reps are reliant on the client informing us - which as we all know doesn’t always happen.  I’m sure they always used to send copies but whether they were automatically generated or not I don’t know.  DLA and AA still seem to inform reps when they revise in the client’s favour, the problem is with the DWP benefits such as ESA.

This means that we do not know what is going on, and more seriously if the new decison needs appealing against, e.g. if the client was put in the WRAG but should have been in the SG, we are in danger of missing the deadline.

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this, or had any comments.  PIP / UC haven’t come in yet in Nottingham - does anyone know if the Mandatory Reconsideration decisions get sent to named reps under the new rules?

Worker#6
forum member

Welfare Rights, Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Send message

Total Posts: 12

Yes we tend to get this up here too - often its the HMCTS letter saying the appeal has lapsed but no DWP letter to us saying what the actual outcome was. Ive just got in to the habit of then ringing DWP after client has rung asking what is going on??!? as its much quicker to resolve the issue, usually…... however I was told this morning that I could not be told by the ESA dept what the decision was and a call-back by the Appeals Section was out of the question because the letter sent to the client was possibly less than a week old! A red-herring or enthusiastic new worker I suspect.

Altered Chaos
forum member

Operations & Advice Manager - Citizens Advice Taunton

Send message

Total Posts: 427

Same here