Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Advice when there do not appear to be ‘right to reside’ grounds for an ESA claim

Kurt12
forum member

Welfare Rights Service, Tameside MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 27

I would be grateful if anyone could give advice regarding a customer who does not readily seem to fit into any of the categories whereby she could acquire the right to reside and claim benefits. 

My customer is an Angolan woman who has a Portuguese passport.  She had claimed JSA but then became ill with a number of chronic (and worsening) health problems and would now struggle to even meet her job seeking requirements, let alone work.  She has been refused ESA under the right to reside rules.  She has been here since 2010 but has very little command of the English language and this led to problems with employment agencies when she was looking for work.  The customer concerned has not worked here, has no partner here, and is not a carer for anyone.  She does not seem to be a ‘qualified person’ within the meaning of the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006 and would not seem to be able to acquire the ‘right to reside’ via another person.  From my experience of right to reside cases it would seem to me also quite remote that she could somehow acquire ‘worker’ status and claim on that basis either.  She currently has an appeal against an ESA decision with the DWP Wick office.  I have explained the rules to her and how she would be much more likely to get paid if she were a jobseeker but she became quite distressed at this prospect and she has my sympathy in this regard.  We have tried claiming DLA as this is, I understand, not dependant upon having the ‘right to reside’ but this too has failed.  The customer concerned is now barely getting by at all by way of food parcels and her situation is deteriorating.

I would be grateful for advice in either of the following areas:

1)  Are there any other legal remedies regarding acquiring the right to reside?  I have read up on some of the CPAG articles (including the one on interim payments) but I had my doubts about these helping as I myself am at a loss as to see what the appealable point is in this case.

2)    What other sources of help are there?  What obligations (if any) do local authority social services or NHS authorities have towards an ill person with no funds and, if there are any obligations to help, what is the quickest way to bring this about?  Are there any relevant charities that could help?  Finally, it is never talked about (as we don’t like to give up) but, if it seemed that the only way she could get paid as a person who is unfit for work would be in her own country, how would she get assistance to return home? Would this be via the Portuguese Consulate or the Home Office?

Thanks for reading my concerns.

AdviceShop
forum member

Advice shop - West Lothian Council

Send message

Total Posts: 85

If she claimed JSA immediately before the ESA claim and satisfied he HRT/R2R test, then I think she retains worker status as temporarily unavailable for work, at least for the assessment phase of ESA. I think that R2R would only then become an issue once she has attended and had a decision made, on a medical assessment.

Might be wrong, but that’s my take on it.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

alex paul - 10 April 2013 05:09 PM

If she claimed JSA immediately before the ESA claim and satisfied he HRT/R2R test, then I think she retains worker status as temporarily unavailable for work, at least for the assessment phase of ESA. I think that R2R would only then become an issue once she has attended and had a decision made, on a medical assessment.

Might be wrong, but that’s my take on it.

(2) A person who is no longer working (my bold) shall not cease to be treated as a worker for the purpose of paragraph (1)(b) if—

(a)he is temporarily unable to work as the result of an illness or accident; .

Martin Williams
forum member

Welfare rights advisor - CPAG, London

Send message

Total Posts: 771

Dan is correct to say that going from JSA to ESA and trying to argue you retain worker status is pointless if you have never been a worker in the UK in the first place- that is what the phrase he highlights means- worker is defined in the I(EEA) Regs as worker for purposes of EU law which means a migrant worker (eg someone who has worked in the UK).

I really think she needs to claim JSA if at all possible.

If she was looking for work at the time she claimed ESA then she could attempt to argue that because ESA is a benefit which is intended to facilitate access to the labour market she has a right to receive it (ie that the rule which says a jobseeker right of residence is not a sufficient right of residence for ESA is unlawful).

The arguments for this are attached. Note it is a test case point and the claimant should not think it will succeed- the JSA claim is essential to protect her. Note also that the more evidence of work search at time of claim for ESA you have the better.

Martin.

[ Edited: 12 Apr 2013 at 11:33 am by Martin Williams ]

File Attachments

Rehousing Advice.
forum member

Homeless Unit - Southampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 637

Kurt - 10 April 2013 04:26 PM

2)  Finally, it is never talked about (as we don’t like to give up) but, if it seemed that the only way she could get paid as a person who is unfit for work would be in her own country, how would she get assistance to return home? Would this be via the Portuguese Consulate or the Home Office?

Thanks for reading my concerns.

In general terms you can contact a social care department, National Assistance act 1948, etc

You might find this useful. http://www.housing-rights.info/03_11_People_social_care.php

Or failing this.

http://www.thamesreach.org.uk/what-we-do/routes-home/european-union-country-information/

Kurt12
forum member

Welfare Rights Service, Tameside MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 27

Hello,

Thanks very much to you all for your helpful responses.  They have made it clearer regarding what can and can’t be realistically argued, how my customer could get any payment, and what other support resources are available.

I should add (for the benefit of others that may find they need to advise in this area) that I contacted the AIRE Centre also and they brought the NRPF Network (NRPF = no recourse to public funds) to my attention. 

The NRPF Network produce a specific guide (Practice Guidance for Local Authorities -Assessing and Supporting Adults with No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF)) that seems helpful and is very detailed.  It does not just cover those with a ‘NRPF’ restriction in their passport as it also has a section on EU citizens.  It is dated 2009 but I presume it is still up to date.

The guide is available at:
http://www.nrpfnetwork.org.uk/guidance/Documents/adults_with_nrpf_guidance.pdf .

The NRPF Network website looks useful - this can be found at: http://www.nrpfnetwork.org.uk/enquiries/Pages/default.aspx