to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Dutch national and RTR

J Hogg
forum member

Welfare Benefits Advisory Officer, Elmbridge Housing Trust, Surrey

Send message

Total Posts: 29

Apologies if this is simple but I do not deal with RTR at all usually.

I have a Dutch national who is married to, but seperated from, his British wife. He moved here in 1996 and worked until 2007. Since then he has not worked or claimed benefits and has been living off capital.

I’m making a claim for ESA for him, will there be any problems with his nationality and no working status for the past 5 years?

TIA

PCLC
forum member

Benefits Supervisor - Plumstead Law Centre, London

Send message

Total Posts: 240

Your client should be OK - if he has worked continuously from 96 to 2007, he would have got a permanent R2R after 5 years legal residence i.e in 2001. He can only lose that if he has been absent from the UK for more than 2 years. The ECJ case of Lassal showed that periods of legal residence (i.e in accordance with EU law eg as a worker) could count towards the 5 years, even if before before the implementation of EU Directive 2004/38 in April 2006

J Hogg
forum member

Send message

Gah.

This claimant has been refused ESA (IB) due to not meeting the requirements for the right to reside test and therefore for benefit purposes is not considered to be habitually resident. Reg 6(1) of the Immigration (EEA) Regs 2006 are cited, which refer to being a qualified person.

So what might be the sticking points in this case? From the information he’s given me he was working from his arrival in 1996 through to 2007. He split from his British wife and since then he’s been living off capital and he is now suffering from severe depression following a breakdown.

Where do I go from here? Is it a clear case of a wrong decision or am I missing something?

Ariadne
forum member

Social policy coordinator, CAB, Basingstoke

Send message

Total Posts: 504

Looks just plain wrong to me. He was a worker on his arrival and has been self-sufficient since 2007. How can he not have a right to reside? They really aren’t very good at the 5 year rules.

J Hogg
forum member

Send message

Ariadne - 26 February 2013 05:26 PM

Looks just plain wrong to me. He was a worker on his arrival and has been self-sufficient since 2007. How can he not have a right to reside? They really aren’t very good at the 5 year rules.

Thanks Ariadne. I shall request a review.

J Hogg
forum member

Send message

Just to report that a request for a review of this case was successful and my client now has R2R. The £3000+ rent arrears will be mainly paid off much to the relief of my colleague in income.

Couldn’t have done it without the help from here so many thanks.