to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Appealing Underoccupancy Decsions

Embercee
forum member

Welfare Benefits Unit, York

Send message

Total Posts: 5

I’ve been asked to find if there is anything available as a generic appeal letter for underoccupancy reducations. This goes beyond DHPs covering a short fall as these may be time limited to allow for seeking, if not finding, alternative accommodation. The issue is around those who have serious mental health issues and the effect of worsenning their condition through either increased debt or eviction. One particular scenario is of a longtime resident, with severe delusional and paranoid tendancies, who is not in supported housing and who is looking at losing 25% - size of rooms etc has been discussed - for living in a house that has been her home for over 20 years.

Any suggestions under Human Rights legislation, or anything else for that matter.

Many thanks.
M

chris smith
forum member

HB Help, Sussex

Send message

Total Posts: 82

I’m afraid that there is not in the sorts of circumstances you describe because unless there are particular conditions, such as the property being exempt, the bedroom not actually being a bedroom, the person falling into one of a number of very limited exemptions, there isn’t really any ground for appeal.

I know we all have difficulty getting our heads round how bad it is.  I do encourage people to go to the press, council members and MP’s where they feel up to it.

I think that it is important that we try use the chance offered by the fact that everyone is going to be affected at once to make as big a public splash as possible.