to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

When is a bedroom not a bedroom?

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

If a claimant has a room in the house that used to be a bedroom but now has to use this as therapy room for physio equipment would it still count as a bedroom?

I can’t find any definition of ‘bedroom’ other than the ordinary meaning of the word and I casn’t see anything in reg13 of the HB regs that sets any limits on how many rooms other than bedrooms someone may have if the claimant is not subject to the single room rate.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

I may have my monday head on (even though its tuesday!) but reading the posts it seems that there is no clear definition of a bedroom in the under occupancy regs. Am I reading this right?
There is opinion regarding what is or isnt a bedroom from our learned QC friend, but i cannot find a definition that i can use. Does this mean local LAs will have their own criteria, or social landlords will? I cannot believe this can be the case considering the constant media attention on this disgusting tax.
I must have missed something .

Nicolette
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - CAB Wymondham, Norfolk

Send message

Total Posts: 14

Any good referring to The Housing (Overcrowding) Bill?  It stipulates the minimum size for a bedroom and what is necessary for which people.

HK
forum member

Welfare Benefits, Oldham CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 26

Nicolette, is the Housing (overcrowding) Bill currently going through parliament? Or has it already been passed into law, or is it about to be? I haven’t heard about it.

Nicolette
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - CAB Wymondham, Norfolk

Send message

Total Posts: 14

Google it, it isn’t new. Useful dimension info.
N

Ros
Administrator

editor, rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 1323

on tuesday, in answer to a written question on how the governement intends to define bedroom for purposes of ‘bedroom tax’, pensions minister steve webb said that -

‘The removal of the spare room subsidy will take account of the number of bedrooms as designated by the landlord. The number of bedrooms within a property is a matter between the landlord and tenant.’

here’s a link to hansard -

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201213/cmhansrd/cm130311/text/130311w0004.htm#13031160000084

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2914

Tell it to the Tribunal judge!

The way it is framed in the Regs, the number of bedrooms is a question of fact to be decided by the HB decision maker in each case, and appealable to the Tribunal.