Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

Housing costs through IS if away from home due to domestic violence

BeatriceC
forum member

Benefits Caseworker, Ely Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 20

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if you can help. My client owns a house in Yorkshire for which she received help with housing costs through IS. She fled home and came to live in Cambridgeshire due to domestic violence (there’s a restraining order in place against her ex partner who still lives in the same town in Yorkshire). She also gets DLA HR care and LR mob and SDA. The top-up of income support that she’s entitled to no longer includes housing costs because she has informed the local BDC that she is not going to return to Yorkshire so she doesn’t count as temporarily absent. She has put the house on the market but it’s taking a while to sell and there’s no equity left in it. She needs to carry on receiving the housing costs through IS otherwise the house will be repossessed.
I checked CPAG chapter 34 and there is a section on page 823 “Housing costs for more than one home” which seems to suggest that she could be entitled to housing costs indefinitely because she left for fear of violence. However, this section only seems to be relevant to someone claiming housing costs for two properties. She is renting at the moment so the paragraph may not apply. 
I just need to see what you experts think, really. It’d be a monstrouos proposition if she’d be allowed to receive help with housing costs under these circumstances if she buys another house but no help with just the one house if she decides to rent!
Thank you in advance for any comments!

Beatrice

BeatriceC
forum member

Benefits Caseworker, Ely Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 20

I’m very grateful for you reply, Paul.
I agree that the wording should be interpreted as encompassing both circumstances. I have sent a GL24 with these arguments today. I will lett you know how it goes. Again many thanks for your help.
Bea