to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Helping complete a paper ESA claim - disclose adviser’s DoB & NINO

Don Curtis
forum member

Customer support team manager - The Guinness Partnership

Send message

Total Posts: 35

Hi - I know it’s old hat but we still from time to time assist a client with completing ESA1:

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/esa1-print.pdf

I think these forms have always asked for your details if you are completing them OBO the claimant but I note that part 23 now asks for your date of birth and NINO!

We’ll be sending in a covering letter with the claim explaining why we’re not disclosing these titbits but I was interested in others views/experience.

Any idea why this is being asked? Any responses from DWP if info is not provided?

Ta!

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 457

Don Curtis - 14 February 2013 03:00 PM

Hi - I know it’s old hat but we still from time to time assist a client with completing ESA1:

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/esa1-print.pdf

I think these forms have always asked for your details if you are completing them OBO the claimant but I note that part 23 now asks for your date of birth and NINO!

We’ll be sending in a covering letter with the claim explaining why we’re not disclosing these titbits but I was interested in others views/experience.

Any idea why this is being asked? Any responses from DWP if info is not provided?

Ta!

Only helped with an ESA1 once or twice but I just did as you did; left details out and included a brief note explaining who I was. Didn’t hear anything further.

No idea why it’s being asked for in the first place though…

David Holcombe
forum member

Chest, Heart and Stroke Welfare Rights Adviser, Citizens Advice and Rights Fife,

Send message

Total Posts: 26

Filled out plenty of ESA1’s but never included those details, and never had any issues with it.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

I think its that old fraud chestnut perhaps.

It is a claimants responsibility to ensure that all information provided is correct and true, and that any overpaid benefit paid in error due to misrepresentation blah blah blah…....

If someone else admits to filling in the form then maybe they can be held responsible, even though the claimant signs the form?

Thoughts???

Helen Rogers
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Stockport MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 238

I’ve always assumed that this part of the form is only to be filled in if a person wants to be created as the claimant’s appointee.  There’s no need for an adviser to put anything here.

Don Curtis
forum member

Send message

Thanks for your responses. Much as I thought.

Helen - the questions at section 23 do differentiate between those completing the form and those signing the form - I’m thinking that’s where the appointee bit would come in.

I’m going to ask my friendly Partner Support Manager if he knows!

Watch this space.

Helen Rogers
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Stockport MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 238

I think it differentiates between those who already are appointees and those who want to be created as an appointee - but without any explanation - in typical DWP fashion!  In other words, if you’re ticking the box that says that the person can’t sign for themselves, you’re supposed to know (somehow!) that the DWP needs your DOB and NINO etc. if you want to be created as an appointee.

Don Curtis
forum member

Send message

Hi - thanks for your various contributions - I had a reply back from the DWP liaison fella - he’s no idea himself so there the matter will lay!