Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other areas of social welfare law  →  Thread

Secret message on Advisernet

Panda1
forum member

Caseworker money advice plymouth

Send message

Total Posts: 4

Hello

Well OK not strictly speaking a welfare benefits issues, but has anyone else noticed the picture on Advisernet homepage of buses in a bus station which is highlighting free bus travel. But is there another issue being highlighted here. All I can say is ‘you can lead a bus company to wheelchair user access, but you can’t teach it common sense’.

Sorry, no prize for the first person to post the bus companies mistake.

Nicky
forum member

Supervisor Welfare Benefits, Barrow-in-Furness, Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 239

There’s no pictures of buses on my advisernet homepage.

DoINotLikeThat
forum member

Warwickshire Welfare Rights Advice Service

Send message

Total Posts: 26

Do you mean Advisernet or Rightsnet home page?

Panda1
forum member

Caseworker money advice plymouth

Send message

Total Posts: 4

On Advisernet for those of you who have it, although on January’s.

Ariadne
forum member

Social policy coordinator, CAB, Basingstoke

Send message

Total Posts: 504

Our mainly single-decker town buses - Arriva - are wheelchair-friendly, though they only have limites space suitable which is all too often taken up with those enormous four-wheel drive baby buggies - dreadful things. The buses curtsy like the London bendy-buses to let people on.
We had a client who had been a bus-driver and left partly because of the aggro he got from passengers including a complaint from a wheelchair user he couldn’t let on the bus for this very reason.
Make way for an argy-bargy between pram-pushers and wheelchair users as to who should take preference on buses…there is no correct answer to this!

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

I’m with you on the enormous baby-buggies, Ariadne. I’ve seen smaller people-carriers.

HK
forum member

Welfare Benefits, Oldham CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 26

First buses in Manchester and Arriva buses in Liverpool have notices that say wheelchair users get precedence over buggy users. But can’t say I’ve seen any conflict over the rule on my bus journeys, as I haven’t seen wheelchair and buggy owners trying to get on the bus at the same time so far.