to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

Pension Credit for Norwegian National

Krissie Newton
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser, Freshwinds, Birmingham

Send message

Total Posts: 60

I have a 69 year client, Norwegian National, lived here a year and 3 months, worked for about 3 months, cannot see any way that he would satisfy the R2R for PC, either thorough his own activities or those of any family member.

CPAG. 1450 says that a national of Norway without the R2R under the EEA regs should seek advice as there are agreements with this state which may assist.

How are such agreements accessed or applied for? Should this be dealt with as part of a standard Pension Credit application, or do they need to be applied for via some other route?

WB-room
forum member

ashfield cab, sutton in ashfield

Send message

Total Posts: 51

Does your client not have any contribution based benfits from Norway that he/she can access !? or transfer to the UK SRP system

Krissie Newton
forum member

Send message

Unsure! Currently a language barrier issue, and I am attempting to arm myself with as much knowledge as possible before I call back and speak to the son tomorrow who will translate. If they may have qualified for any contribution based benefits back in Norway, would they need to apply for these directly to their government back in Norway, or should the Pension Service have some means of investigating this and applying on their behalf?

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Hi Krissie

Whilst I was in Brum I saw a couple of Norwegian entrants claim pensions from Norway. There’s a consulate office at Cobbetts Solicitors on Colmore Square that might be worth a visit while you wrangle with the R2R issues.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

and… if you’re speaking to his son might there be a dependant relative in the ascending line argument a la CIS 2100
2007?

Krissie Newton
forum member

Send message

Thanks for that Dan. Yep that one is the only possible route through which I can see he may be able to meet the R2R conditions to get PC, I need to explore it with the son later.