to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

Deprivation of income

Surrey Adviser
forum member

Benefits and debt adviser - Esher CAB, Surrey

Send message

Total Posts: 222

Cl. will become entitled to PC in near future (currently on ESA/DLA).  He can take a private pension now.  If he takes it, his entitlement to PC will reduce (or be eliminated).  If he defers taking the pension can his PC be calculated as if he had that income - i.e. has deprived himself of it by not claiming it?  I can’t find anything about this, but there is a vague niggle at the back of my mind that I read something a while ago indicating that claimants could be treated as having such income.

Any comments/advice would be much appreciated.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2004

When would it normally become payable?

Surrey Adviser
forum member

Send message

He has just become 60 so could take the private pension now, or at any time up to age 75 (if I have remembered the relevant regs. correctly).  He will become entitled to PC about May next year. 

He is reluctant to take the pension because he thinks he may have a greater need for the money in a few years time.

Steve_h
forum member

Welfare Rights- AIW Health

Send message

Total Posts: 193

There is such a reg, can’t remember which one, but it is about denying income to take advantage of claiming benefit.

come on Soviet Leader, you can answer this one

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Possible income from occupational or personal pensions is ignored for those under QASPC (currently 61 and a half approximately - People became of age on January 6th if born between 6 August 1951 and 5 September 1951).  By the time he reaches QASPC, if he’s just past 60, it will have moved on about a month for every two months passed.

Above that age it’s taken into account if he could get it if he applied but don’t forget to add the estimated time it would take the pension scheme to process an application.

Tom H
forum member

Newcastle Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 783

Gareth Morgan - 06 February 2013 04:04 PM

...By the time he reaches QASPC….

she [the deferred pension] ‘ll be rising.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

And she’ll cry just to think, I’d really leave her

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Thank you for making me laugh so much I’ve just spilled my coffee!!

Surrey Adviser
forum member

Send message

Gareth - Many thanks - very helpful.

[I can’t imagine what these other posts are on about! - but that’s just my ignorance I suppose.]

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

You’re welcome ... and I’m afraid there are some sad country and western fans about (I had to Google it).

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

Philistines!  They’re lines from a song called By the time I get to Phoenix, written by Jimmy Webb, a legendary and brilliant songwriter.  Obviously, Tom was paraphrasing.  I don’t think they had Pension Credit in 1960’s America but you never know.

Lorraine Cooper
forum member

Family Support, Barnardo's, Merthyr Tydfil

Send message

Total Posts: 132

Anywhere else on the internet, I would have assumed it was a reference to a Justin Beiber song & I’m too old to get it. I’m grateful there’s still somewhere where I’m too young & trendy to have a clue!