to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

unhelpful doctors

bridgetp
forum member

age concern welfare rights service Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan

Send message

Total Posts: 4

I have a client who has a judgemental and unhelpful doctor who will block our attempt to get her disabled living allowance.  Has anybody any advice about this situation as i do feel she is entitled.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

If you can get any evidence that the doctor is wilfully, with or without malice, attempting to prevent your client getting DLA with no proper or justifiable clinical reason then you should advise your client to consider reporting him/her to the General Medical Council.  On the evidence issue, is there another doctor in the practice who might be willing to help?  Could she transfer to another practice?  Is she seeing any other health care professional?  As a last resort you could request the DWP send an EMP out.

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

On the other hand, an appropriately worded letter to a GP and a considered reply will often carry significant weight before a tribunal. GPs will often be able to supply copies of hospital etc reports which can be much more useful (and save many trees) compared to requesting the patients records under DPA (and avoid a charge).

bridgetp
forum member

age concern welfare rights service Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan

Send message

Total Posts: 4

thank you everybody - I think the client applying under the data protection act is a very good idea and sets a useful precedent.  If the client is willing to do that.  Does anybody know how long this would take and if you are provided with unedited records. Bridget

MarkRingsted
forum member

Macmillan Benefits South Essex

Send message

Total Posts: 20

Some GPs who have themselves worked for the DWP (EMPs) may be judgmental when asked to provide medical evidence for a patient. I may be interresting to find out if this is the case here.
Gather as much other evidence as you can (including witnesses) and go to tribunal anyway.