to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

Dutch pension

Jac
forum member

Welfare benefits adviser - Melville Housing Association, Midlothian

Send message

Total Posts: 146

I have a client who worked in the Netherlands and has a pension from Holland. She is disputing the fact she has to pay the equivalent of NI conts for Dutch health care system as she is now back in the UK. She receives Pension Credit and DLA. As far as I am aware she does not get a Retirement Pension.

Various people have tried helping her and the replies seem to be that the deductions from the Dutch pension are correct as she does not get a contribution based RP inthe UK. These deductions would be used (in theory) to pay the UK government for any health care she accesses here. (At least that is my interpretation of the papers I have seen).

Anyone got more expertese or can refer me to more guidance that I can pass to her as she is insisting on pursuing this but I am not confident in giving advice or where to get good advice for her.

Many thanks

Duncan72
forum member

Welfare rights. Luton Rights Centre. Bedfordshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1

What office makes the deductions? If in UK, have you asked that office why and is the correct UK tax code applied? Is this a works or private pension from Holland?

If she stops paying the national insurance, does it mean she loses Pension Credit due to the Dutch pension increasing or not. If not and she will still get Pension Credit, then why does she still want to argue?

Jac
forum member

Welfare benefits adviser - Melville Housing Association, Midlothian

Send message

Total Posts: 146

Thanks for getting back to me. I have only some details as the question has arisen from a support worker. However it appears to be a government pension with a deduction being made for health care costs. These are paid from the Netherlands. If she does challenge and gets money back it could interfere with Pension Credit award and this has been pointed out. She just seems to think it unfair to be paying into a health service she does not use (in Holland).

I suspect she will either need to drop the matter or seek advice in the Netherlands, but will need to be careful in case it impacts on her DLA or Pension Credit.

I am intending telling her I am just not qualified to advise her on this complex question.