to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

BDC asking clients to set up memorable date and PIN

Rosamund
forum member

East Renfrewshire CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 4

This afternoon, I contacted two benefit delivery centres and was faced with an new automated system.  Client is asked to key in their NINO and date of birth and then asked to set up a memorable date and PIN.  Once this is set the client will always be asked to key in this information in order to make contact.  This will cause some of my clients great problems.  Apparently, after three failed attempts to key in the correct information they will be given a call back.  Is this a lead up to next year’s changes to a computerised system?

Stevegale
forum member

Torbay Disability Information Service, Torbay NHS Care Trust

Send message

Total Posts: 342

Oh happy days!

Surrey Adviser
forum member

Benefits and debt adviser - Esher CAB, Surrey

Send message

Total Posts: 222

What a nightmare!

You say:
Apparently, after three failed attempts to key in the correct information they will be given a call back

How?  Is there a message asking them to leave their phone number?

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Our local BC telephony number now has an initial option (3) for someone calling on behalf of a claimant that appears to get advisers etc around this. No need to provide passwords etc although still the usual issue about security and implied consent.

Altered Chaos
forum member

Operations & Advice Manager - Citizens Advice Taunton

Send message

Total Posts: 427

Peter Turville - 23 November 2012 04:38 PM

Our local BC telephony number now has an initial option (3) for someone calling on behalf of a claimant that appears to get advisers etc around this. No need to provide passwords etc although still the usual issue about security and implied consent.

Ours too - although I did not appreciate the 30 minute wait!

Mairi
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Dunedin Canmore Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 274

I left a client in an interview room on Friday so that I could return to my desk and get info via implied consent.  I’ve previously tried to use option 3 when the client has been with me (because I’d been told I should) and they refused to speak to me.  I knew he wouldn’t remember the info put in the automated system so that seemed the easiest way round it.

‘Is your client with you?’
‘No’ (but I know where he is…..)

Rosamund
forum member

East Renfrewshire CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 4

I also tried option3 and adviser dealt with the enquiry and then suggested that client set up his security answers. She suggested that this would be the preferred method of contact ie option1. She said that this automated system was introduced as it would be a quicker way for clients to get through. Time will tell!  Clients will want us to record/store their security answers for them. I can see that this could increase our workload as clients will not make their own calls. Could also be difficult for clients at times when we are closed. As for call back if client makes 3 failed attempts - I’ve no idea how this works

Mairi
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Dunedin Canmore Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 274

I’ve also had experience of the call 3 times then receive a callback.  It’s very time consuming and my experience is that you can’t request a callback at an earlier stage - you have to fail security 3 times.  This in itself would be fine but the 30 - 40 minutes on hold each time (on average) is what led me to phone from my desk rather than the room my tenant was sitting in.

I’ve found that if DWP need to speak to the claimant after speaking to me they’ll arrange a callback on the first attempt of not being able to speak to me.