× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Pub staff to give benefit advice

< 1 2

johnny
forum member

money advice, midland heart HA, birmingham

Send message

Total Posts: 39

yesterday i discovered that one of my clients who will be affected by the “bedroom tax” has been in touch with many of her neighbours to tell them that they will too, even though some of them don’t even claim housing benefit. consequently i’ve had a few calls from anxious residents and i’ve had to explain that because they dont claim HB, or because they don’t actually have any unoccupied rooms that they wont be affected

i couldn’t resist also adding the maxim - if you want benefit advice dont listen to your neighbours, ask someone who actually knows!

Lorraine Cooper
forum member

Family Support, Barnardo's, Merthyr Tydfil

Send message

Total Posts: 132

I’ve got social workers telling clients the bedroom tax won’t affect them because they haven’t got an unoccupied room, even though they’ve only got 2 children, both under 5 (opposite sex, but even so, it’s a long time before they need a third bedroom).  And sadly the clients listen to social workers more than they listen to me.  Until the bill comes, that is!

carol o
forum member

Complaints Officer, Cardiff Council Adult Services

Send message

Total Posts: 25

Lorraine, have you thought of feeding that back to Social Servcies/Local Authority? I am aware of some local authorities doing work with both employees and service users in preparation for the changes. Not sure about Merthyr but I could ask around if that would be helpful?