to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

walking with significant discomfort

PeterS
forum member

Advice worker, Tinsley Advice Service

Send message

Total Posts: 19

My client is in constant pain of a level which I would judge to be more than “signifcant discomfort”. She CAN walk short distances, and the pain increases as she walks. However, since she has already crossed the “significant discomfort” threshhold BEFORE she STARTS walking, it is not “significant discomfort” that makes her stop walking. How do I convince the Tribunal that this descriptor applies to her?

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Tricky one with regard to satisfying that descriptor from the outset. It has been argued however that lack of ability to repeat a descriptor then means the descriptor cannot be completed so perhaps this tactic may suffice.

chrislpl
forum member

Linskills Solicitors

Send message

Total Posts: 21

Dear Peter S,

Perhaps the attached Upper Tribunal decision may help.

Regards

Chris

File Attachments

PeterS
forum member

Send message

Thanks for these comments. The case is post-April, so the new descriptors apply.

Since she is already in more than “significant discomfort” before sitting or standing, can we also argue that one of those descriptors apply? Which one?

JMCA
forum member

Tribunal rep - Newtownabbey CAB, Northern Ireland

Send message

Total Posts: 2

I would try 1. (a) (c) 0r (d)  Cannot
(ii)  repeatedly mobilise 50, 100, 200 metres within a reasonable timescale BECAUSE of significant discomfort or exhaustion. The arguments in RDLA/4/04 may assist.

PeterS
forum member

Send message

Thanks for your help.

Got her the ESA (work-related activity group). Then the rules changed and, because she had now been on contribution-based ESA for over a year, she lost her ESA again. Now we’re arguing that her current condition demands that she be put in the support group. Apparently these appeals are taking an absolute age to be processed by DWP - even before they get to Tribunals Service.