× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Data sharing within RSLs - opinion needed

splurge
forum member

Welfare officer - Peabody, London

Send message

Total Posts: 101

Ever since the Welfare Reform Act provisions allowed Data Sharing, the rent collectors within the Housing Association have been pressing me to disclose information. As far as i was aware the provisions only allow for housing support and welfare services, so have been reluctant to divulge in case of breaching the law.

The wording of Section 130-31 seems a bit vague in its defining of support service. Does anyone have an opinion or experiance as to whether welfare related departments can share data to other departments within RSLs?

seand
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Wheatley Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 302

I work for a Housing Association as well and it ncan be difficult to balance your role as an employee and as an adviser providing impartial advice. My employer accepts that I provide confidential advice and just don’t ask. I would say that you shouldn’t act as if you were in an independant advice agency as much as possible

Going back to the Welfare Reform Act. I can’t see how you would be a ‘qualifying person’ affected by this - see section 131 (11) for the definition. Isn’t this aimed at local authorities/devolved bodies providing information?