to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Ferret Calculation brain fog?

CAH-Adviser
forum member

Havering Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 318

I have a client who has been receiving contractual sick pay for six months.  This has now halved, to approx £160 p/w.

I have advised client to make a claim for contribution based ESA. I am working on a ferret calculation for the client but not sure if I should be entering the clients hours of work. 

When I do this it shows WTC and HB and CTB?  Surely this isn’t right when she is receiving £160 p/w Contractual and £71.00 CB ESA??

I would be really grateful if someone can tell me where I am going wrong? Or is this correct?

Confused :o/

hkrishna
forum member

Welfare rights worker - CPAG in Scotland, Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 257

Never used Ferret’s systems so can’t tell you where you might be going wrong with that but you are no longer treated as in work for WTC once your SSP ends/off work for 28 weeks (our handbook page 1303), and for HB/CTB hours of work are irrelevant.

CAH-Adviser
forum member

Havering Citizens Advice

Send message

hkrishna - 19 September 2012 02:23 PM

Never used Ferret’s systems so can’t tell you where you might be going wrong with that but you are no longer treated as in work for WTC once your SSP ends/off work for 28 weeks (our handbook page 1303), and for HB/CTB hours of work are irrelevant.

Thanks for your reply…but still cannot work out what i am doing wrong…think i’ll give up for now and have another look tomorrow when my head is not so fuzzy!

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2004

Hi Cookie

Have you spoken to the helpline?  They’ll walk through any problem with you.

Lorraine Cooper
forum member

Family Support, Barnardo's, Merthyr Tydfil

Send message

Total Posts: 132

Hours of work aren’t irrelevant for HB/CTB, as there is still the 16/30 hour disregard.  This does cause problems in these situations, as the cliamant is not actually working, but is still receiving earnings.

CAH-Adviser
forum member

Havering Citizens Advice

Send message

Gareth Morgan - 19 September 2012 02:44 PM

Hi Cookie

No…did not know they had one.  Thanks Gareth i will look for a number.

CAH-Adviser
forum member

Havering Citizens Advice

Send message

Lorraine Cooper - 19 September 2012 02:51 PM

Hours of work aren’t irrelevant for HB/CTB, as there is still the 16/30 hour disregard.  This does cause problems in these situations, as the cliamant is not actually working, but is still receiving earnings.

Yes this is the problem Lorraine. When using the calculator if you put A in the ESA box and then go to income and tick CB ESA it shows a little WTC and nearly full HB and CTB…however this cannot be right if client is still receiving £160 p/w contractual sick pay, her rent is only £80 p/w.

I am right that a person is entitled to CB ESA after 6 months even if she is receiving contractual sick pay? But when i enter this in Ferret, plus cont sick pay with hours it shows WTC, and nearly full HB and CTB,.  Without the hours it shows no WTC but full HB and CTB, but this cannot be right?

hkrishna
forum member

Welfare rights worker - CPAG in Scotland, Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 257

Lorraine Cooper - 19 September 2012 02:51 PM

Good point - I was only thinking in terms of entitlement rather than earnings disregards. My approach is to look at the two seperately.

However, where someone is on sick leave they do not count as in remunerative work for HB/CTB purposes (reg 6(7)) so may not be able to qualify for the additional disregard if they are not getting WTC, unless there is a partner who works.

[ Edited: 19 Sep 2012 at 05:57 pm by hkrishna ]
Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2004

Cookie - 19 September 2012 03:00 PM

Hi Cookie

It’s always at the top of the News section in Help

CAH-Adviser
forum member

Havering Citizens Advice

Send message

Gareth Morgan - 19 September 2012 03:29 PM
Cookie - 19 September 2012 03:00 PM

Hi Cookie

It’s always at the top of the News section in Help

Thanks Gareth i’ll give them a call.  Thanks for all you input.