to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Indefinite period – how long?

CAH-Adviser
forum member

Havering Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 318

Can anyone tell me - if someone was awarded the mobility component at the highest rate in May 2011 and it was awarded for an indefinite period, can the DBC send out a renewal form which has to be completed by December 2012?

The mobility component was also awarded based on a report completed following a home visit from one of their own doctor’s visits as well!

I am sure that there were regulations regarding how long an indefinite period should be but can not find anything? Anyone have any ideas?

CAH-Adviser
forum member

Havering Citizens Advice

Send message

Cookie - 14 September 2012 10:15 AM

Can anyone tell me - if someone was awarded the mobility component at the highest rate in May 2011 and it was awarded for an indefinite period, can the DBC send out a renewal form which has to be completed by December 2012?

The mobility component was also awarded based on a report completed following a home visit from one of their own doctor’s visits as well!

I am sure that there were regulations regarding how long an indefinite period should be but can not find anything? Anyone have any ideas?

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

The DWP can look at awards periodically at its own discretion without receiving further information in connection with that award as long as it abides by common law rules of fairness.  However, it cannot change the awarding deicision without making out a ground for supersession in accordance with the D&A Regs.

CAH-Adviser
forum member

Havering Citizens Advice

Send message

nevip - 14 September 2012 01:40 PM

The DWP can look at awards periodically at its own discretion without receiving further information in connection with that award as long as it abides by common law rules of fairness.  However, it cannot change the awarding deicision without making out a ground for supersession in accordance with the D&A Regs.

Thanks Nevip – So grounds for a supersession would be that there is a change in the clients mobility needs, however there is no change.  The thing is what with all the bad decisions lately I have a feeling the client may have the mobility taken away.

I just think that it’s really strange how they award HR mobility for an infinite period just over a year ago and now want to reassess??

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

That seems ridiculously quick.  Sounds like someone has been on the phone to them.

CAH-Adviser
forum member

Havering Citizens Advice

Send message

nevip - 14 September 2012 02:23 PM

That seems ridiculously quick.  Sounds like someone has been on the phone to them.

Hummm, thats what i thought!

Nicky
forum member

Supervisor Welfare Benefits, Barrow-in-Furness, Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 239

I was going to say that too but thought it sounded a bit cynical :)

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Pretty typical behaviour. And reprehensible. How many ESA/DLA clients who are appealing start slagging off other claimants and say “Take their money off them as theres nowt wrong with them, Its ME who deserves me benefits”

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Could it be that the decision notified to your client was not the same as that recorded on the IT system? It’s not unknown for indefinite awards to be recorded as fixed term thus generating renewal forms in due course or fixed term as indefinite which is only picked up years later. I understand this can occur when the wrong decision code is entered on the system.