to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

I’M OFF

Dolge
forum member

Senior adviser - Wirral Welfare Rights Unit, Birkenhead

Send message

Total Posts: 49

Well, that’s me done. Finishing work this week after 33 years in the welfare rights business. Not like, old, or anything, but after seven years the MS wears you down.

Going all elegiac now – SB single payments appeals when clients brought their old bedding with them and spread it out for the Tribunal – the old Commissioners’ office in South Kensington on an REA permanent/continuing condition appeal – the guy who slept under the Portakabin at the unemployed centre. HNCIP!...

That’s quite enough of that. Here’s an alternative view of welfare rights from the only Booker prize winning novel to deal with the subject: Sammy, newly blind, goes for his IB medical (pre ATOS):

“I’m Ally, pleased to meet ye. I take it ye’re looking for a rep?
Sammy listened hard for other sounds, for other voices; there were the ones from the reception area and the ones from the other patients…
Eh? Need a rep?
Naw.
Ye sure? The guy sounded surprised.
I’m sure mate aye.
What doctor ye seeing the now? Is it Logan?

I hear he’s awkward.
He’s alright.
No in my experience.
Sammy sniffed.
From what I know he’s an awkward buggar.
I saw him a few months ago.
Did ye? Mm. Naw I thought ye would be needing a rep. Ye’re blind int ye?
Who telt ye that?
A wee bird.
A wee fucking dickie bird?
Naw but it’s no gony be that straightforward, your medical case, from what I know about it.
What do ye know about it?
The guy chuckled.
Naw; I don’t need a rep, thanks very much; fuck off.
I understand your reaction, it’s alright. Look simple cases or hard cases, it’s all one to me, I’ll rep yours if ye like.
Ye deaf?”

That’s us told. Always wanted to put this on Rightsnet. Just don’t tell McKinstry.

Seriously, though, what are we going to do, those who are left? We know how bad it is. We know how much worse it’s going to get. I’ll be out October 20th. I’ll be getting DPAC going again where I live. Maybe if we all did something, before the nightmare that is UC – a vast, virtual workhouse engulfing a quarter of the population – takes over we can start to make a difference, start to sketch out an alternative at least. I think that’s what most of us came into this field to do.

Richard Atkinson

ps: Welfare rights in Wirral survives through the heroic efforts of Brian Buckley (‘sovietleader’) and Joe Collins, while I ponce around with my so-called ‘disability’; something ATOS will soon see through of course.

J Hogg
forum member

Welfare Benefits Advisory Officer, Elmbridge Housing Trust, Surrey

Send message

Total Posts: 29

Great post. All the best for the future and good luck with ATOS should your paths ever cross, god forbid.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

Hi Richard

I grew up in Birkenhead and remember signing on At Hordon House (now the home of Birkenhead BDC), then at the old Labour Exchange in Bridge Street.  That seems a world away now.  It was my experiences at the sharp end that ked me into this line of work.  Sorry to see an old stalwart like yourself go.  Glad to see the Unit’s carrying on though.

Best wishes
Paul

Paul Treloar
forum member

Head of Policy, LASA

Send message

Total Posts: 842

Good luck with everything in the future Richard, and thanks for all of your work in welfare rights in Wirral as well as on here.

Your quote is from James Kelman’s How Late Is Was How Late, if I’m not mistaken, something that I remember reading many years ago and enjoyed a great deal.

Steve_h
forum member

Welfare Rights- AIW Health

Send message

Total Posts: 193

Hi Richard,

Sorry to see MS has finally taken it’s toll on you.

Will miss you and your immense knowledge and wisdom regarding welfare rights.

I will vow to carry the fight now that you have gone.

I hope you will stay in touch with us Wirral stalwarts.

Steve Harnden

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

Sorry to hear that you are not well, best of luck for the future, I’m sure everyone on the forum will miss you.

Pete.

Tom H
forum member

Newcastle Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 783

Take care Richard.  Your posts were always essential reading.  You’ll be well missed.