Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Right of permanent residence for EEA national ...

Jeremy Cross
forum member

CAB Maidstone

Send message

Total Posts: 60

Good afternoon / early evening to all !
I have a cl who came to UK from Portugal in 1993, returning to portugal in February 2010, but returning to UK January 2012.

They claimed E.S.A and this has been refused because JCP have stated he does not satisfy the permanent right of residence test because there is no record of them being a qualified person for a continuous period of 5 years between 1993 and 2010.

Cl has stated this is because when he was working some employers did not pay his tax and national insurance contributions.

I’m a bit stuck on how to progress this issue so any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Cl aged 50 and has successfully claimed J.S.A but his health means it is very unlikely that if he were to find employment this would last any period of time because of this.
What can I do to try to argue Cl. has gained a permanent right of residence given his circumstances ?

Again, any thoughts on this issue etc and have a good evening all ...

Domino
forum member

Advice Support Project, Lasa

Send message

Total Posts: 121

You may need to get a breakdown (if you have not done so already) from the client as to his work history from 1993 to 2010, and for what periods and how long was he not paying tax and NI?  You say there is no record of him being a qualified person.  Does this mean he was never paying tax or NI, and there are no P60s or P45s?  What evidence of work, is client able to produce, letters from employers, wage slips?

Does client have a family member, who would pass the permanent residence test, from whom he could qualify?

Jeremy Cross
forum member

CAB Maidstone

Send message

Thanks Domino !
I thought that would be the path to follow and yes, he has got a son in UK but he is in receipt of IBJSA ...
Have a good day !!

Josephina
forum member

Community, Advice, Support and Education, Brighton

Send message

Total Posts: 38

I have clients in this situation. Their employers did not pay taxes/NI contributions and there was no trace of their existence in HMRC’s records. However, I could track employers or witnesses and receive written evidence of the jobs (e-mails for example). This evidence was accepted by the tribunal, as corroborating the clients’ testimony. A job is ‘work’ under the EU laws even if taxes were not paid.

Make sure you can convince the tribunal that all the work was not ancillary or marginal - this is normally easy. And check the continuity of your client’s history: long gaps between jobs should be covered by claims for JSA or evidence of sickness. Smaller gaps can be accepted.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

“A job is ‘work’ under the EU laws even if taxes were not paid.”  Judge Jacobs goes even further in this very useful decision.

File Attachments

Jeremy Cross
forum member

CAB Maidstone

Send message

Hmmmm ...
Lots to work on since I last looked, thank you all !
Now have breakdown of cl employment, or otherwise, history in UK since 1993 and will progress case accordingly ...
Will let you know the outcome and have a good weekend !!