to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

TV programmes examining the WCA

Paul Treloar
forum member

Head of Policy, LASA

Send message

Total Posts: 842

Disability Rights UK note that on Monday 30 July, BBC Panorama and Channel 4 Dispatches are both doing programmes on the work capability assessment (WCA).

The first is Dispatches Britain on the Sick on Channel 4 starting at 8pm, which uses undercover filming to investigate the WCA process.

BBC2 are then showing Panorama’s Disabled or Faking It?, which starts at 8.30pm, looking at government plans to end the so-called ‘sick note culture’.

BBC and Channel 4 investigate the work capability assessment

[ Edited: 26 Jul 2012 at 12:39 am by Paul Treloar ]
dizzymare
forum member

Welfare benefits adviser - Dudley MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 319

I watched this programme at the time, and saved the link to use in our training.  We used it a few weeks ago, but now find that the link no longer works and it can no longer be accessed on channel 4 site. Does anyone have a copy of this programme or know how we can access it. Is there a DVD available to buy? I have searched Amazon but cant find anything?

Many thanks

HK
forum member

Welfare Benefits, Oldham CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 26

I doubt there is a DVD commercially available for this sort of programme (limited appeal and may go out of date relatively quickly). I don’t have the means to record TV programmes these days, but knowing it would soon disappear from the Channel 4 website, I sat through it a second time and typed out a partial summary and partial transcript. I intend to use it for ESA appeals, so the summary is of the part every tribunal judge will be familiar with - how the ESA points system works. The transcript is of the argument about whether a claimant could be able to work from a wheelchair, and the part where ATOS assessors say they are having targets imposed on them.

If this would be of some use, I can post it to you.

Lorraine Cooper
forum member

Family Support, Barnardo's, Merthyr Tydfil

Send message

Total Posts: 132

4OD & BBC iPlayer generally only keep programmes online for a week or so.  Someone may have placed some or all of the shows on youtube.

dizzymare
forum member

Welfare benefits adviser - Dudley MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 319

thanks lorraine. I will try youtube.

HK
forum member

Welfare Benefits, Oldham CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 26

BBC programmes are available for a year after broadcast (this one is), but you have to search for them on the BBC website, not the iplayer.
I didn’t think of Youtube!
Greater Manchester Welfare Rights Advisers Group (GMWRAG) put a previous programme on their website in three parts. I don’t know if somebody from the group is going to do the same with these, but it might be worth asking. Google ‘GMWRAG’ and you can find their website.