Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

CPAG or Zebedee 2006/07 Handbook - anyone got a copy?

ChrisG
forum member

Shelter, South Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 34

Any hoarders out there? I always used to keep old copies of CPAG handbooks (just in case) much to the amusement of colleague s- but moved jobs and wish I still had my old copies…

Anyway – if anyone has the 2006/07 handbook or the 2006/07 zebedee – could you do me a big favour and just check the advice given on Housing Benefit for those who used to own a property but have sold it and now rent back the same property.

The 2006 HB regs (I think) brought in the 5 year rule that prevents HB for anyone within 5 years of selling the same property. Im curious to know what the 2006/07 handbook said and if the changes had made it in there by the time of publication

thanks

John

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

Not got the relevant Zebedee I’m afraid but the 5 year rule was in the old HB regs and simply carried over to the 2006 version.  What changed by amendment (the only subsequent amendment to reg 9) effective from 1/10/07 was that the provision started to apply to leaseholders, whereas before it only applied to freeholders so leaseholders were not caught.

Other than that I can’t be much help.

ChrisG
forum member

Shelter, South Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 34

I must admit that was my recall as well. client said he was advised otherwise by another advice centre in 2007. Unless someone just didnt bother looking it up OR client misunderstood - I was taking a wild guess that there were changes & they werent covered in the 2006/07 handbooks - obviously not & you’ve confirmed my suspicions

thanks

John

Ruth_T
forum member

Volunteer adviser - Corby Borough Welfare Rights & CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 313

I’m a hoarder;  one never knows when the information could be useful.

It’s in Zebedee, Ward & Lister 2006/07, in para 2.63 at page 43.

“A claimant is not eligible for HB if:
- he or she, or a partner, previously owned the dwelling; and
- owned it within the last five years,
unless the claimant is able to satisfy the authority that he or she or a partner could not have continued to live in the dwelling without letting go of ownership.”

Margin references are to the 2006 regs.