Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

under 35s and Hostels

Matthew Finch
forum member

Senior Welfare Rights Officer, Leicester City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 27

Probably a daft quesion I should know the answer to but,
The changes to LHA that mean Under 35s are only entitled to the single room rate have some exceptions such as ex-offenders who are being supervised under MAPPA arrangements. There is also an exception for people who have been in a hostel for over 3 months. Is this exemption only for ex offenders or anyone in a hostel? are there any other limitations?

Domino
forum member

Advice Support Project, Lasa

Send message

Total Posts: 121

As well as the exemption you cite:

This exemption also applies to a single claimant at least 25 and under 35, who has been living in a homeless hostel for 3 months or more (does not have to be continuous) and while living in such a hostel they have accepted support services to assist them in being rehabilitated or resettled in the community.  [Reg. 2 (1)(A) HB regs]

Another exemption is where the claimant or partner qualify for severe disability premium as part of their applicable amount;

or where claimant or partner under the age of 22 and in the care of or under the supervision of a local authority under specific legal provisions after they turned 16, or were provided with accommodation under s20 of the Children Act

Rehousing Advice.
forum member

Homeless Unit - Southampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 637

Just a couple of points as I understand it the MAPPA excemption applies only to MAPPA 2 and 3s. Not to MAPPAs 1. Given the sensitivity of the information this is supposed to go direct from the MAPPA lead officer to the HB office.

In my area this aint happening smoothly on all cases ....

Bit unsure what happens when the MAPPA level gets reduced…....

Err you are doing really well, your offending is down, by the way as a resullt of this your HB will drop….

Still I am sure it is all worked out by those that know…..

Some bright spark on Rightsnet will know the answer…..

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

The exemption applies on one day only per week and the rate is then worked out proportionally over the whole week. It’s called the Mappa Mundi.

Sorry!

Rehousing Advice.
forum member

Homeless Unit - Southampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 637

Showing the three monthes at a hostel can be difficult

Also what constitutes a “hostel” can be quite tricky…...

This is the link to the list of all hostels that HomelessLink consider excempt.

Rather helpfully I send the HB office the link showing the hostel is excempt, along with the dates the service user was there. 

http://homeless.org.uk/hostel-list