to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

In work credit for lone parents

elene
forum member

welfare rights team, Islington council

Send message

Total Posts: 6

Does anyone know if there is any sort of linking rule, or some other means to enable a lone parent starting work to regain eligibility to an in work credit without being on IS/JSA for another 52 weeks?

For example, where a lone parent starts a job but leaves after 3 weeks because her childcare falls through, has she then lost access to the in work credit unless out of work for another 52 weeks?

Also, any ideas on where I can find regs and/or guidance on in work credit?  And has anyone seen or have a copy of the claim form to be completed with a JCP adviser?

Cheers

WillH
forum member

Locum adviser - CPAG in Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 369

Elene, the problem with the in work credit is that there are no regs. It is paid under a power in one of the Employment Acts from what I can remember.

I have on one occasion been able to find some guidance by making an FOI request, but it is not readily available on the internet as far as I know.

In answer to your question though, I believe that short breaks in a claim, of no more than 5 days, are allowed. See the in work credit info on http://www.direct.gov.uk

I’m afraid the form is another thing which isn’t widely available although again there is no reason I can see why you shouldn’t be able to get hold of one by making a request.

The info doesn’t help your client, I’m afraid. Arguably a design fault in an incentive intended for lone parents. Was she getting the credit in the previous job?

elene
forum member

welfare rights team, Islington council

Send message

Total Posts: 6

Hi Rachel
Thanks for that - sadly reinforces what I thought, but clarifies advice to be cautious about taking up a job they really won’t be able to sustain for more than a very short time.

In my client’s case, it was totally unrealistic but she was so thrilled to get a job she threw caution to the wind,  though happily they got her in for 3 days unpaid training first so she hasn’t actually started, and if she decides not to start can at least take heart from being successful at an interview and keep looking with renewed confidence. It’s still interesting though that it simply says on the website that gaps of 5 days ‘should be OK,’ implying that such gaps equally may not be OK. Experience of contacting JCP about such things is you never get a straight answer and lone parents genuinely and with good reason feel very anxious trying the ropey jobs on offer. I’m routinely coming across lone parents who go for jobs with employers who once they are in, change their hours and days so they have no option but to leave after a week or two.

Incidently, do you have any idea if the Advisers Discretionary Fund still exists or has it been unofficially shelved? I understand applications are at log jam because of being centralised and ‘arent being promoted’ which in practise means it is not available or at best so restricted that people who had been told they would get help are refused once they go back having sorted out the course/childcare/whatever they were relying on to try to get back to work or in particular training. It’s all the more worrying as more parents get towards the time at which they are moved from IS to JSA and go into the most ropey jobs on offer - how does one spell ropey? - so the incentive of in work credit is of little help to those who may need it most, coming off benefit for the first time with little if any financial or practical support, to insecure and poorly paid work without adequate care for the kids while they do it.

Gloom.

Ellie

WillH
forum member

Locum adviser - CPAG in Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 369

Hi Ellie, re ADF the impression I get is that although it still technically exists it is effectively in limbo because of the move from the New Deal programmes to the Work Programme. So as you say not being promoted etc. It is extremely unhelpful having so much uncertainty and in the meantime people are not getting the back to work support they need just at the time that more and more of them are being forced to jobseek…Can only see it getting more difficult, although it might be helpful in some cases to complain (probably via MP) and quote this:

‘Until the Work Programme is implemented, we will ensure support is in place. Where necessary, we will seek to extend current arrangements to ensure that there is no gap in provision and people can continue to receive help and support to get back into work.’  (Chris Grayling, June 2010).

I think this kind of commitment is probably not being met in numerous cases.