Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Supporting People Programme - Who is responsible?

derek_S
forum member

Benefit Service coordinator, Guinness Northern Counties HA

Send message

Total Posts: 38

I have just had a case referred where I rather think I will be getting into an arguement with a certain supporting people team in te near future.

Before I start I would like to be sure of what the current status of supporting people programme is.

I believe that the the funding is now via the Formula Grant and allocated via the Local Government Finance Report.

Does this make the the supporting people programme a Local Authority responsibility or is it a part of the Communities Department and i suppose subject to the pariliamentary ombudsman?

Does anyone have any idea?

SElahi
forum member

Private Sector Housing, Blackburn with Darwen BC

Send message

Total Posts: 41

Derek

Local Authority responsibility.  Interested in what are the details.

Shabir

derek_S
forum member

Benefit Service coordinator, Guinness Northern Counties HA

Send message

Total Posts: 38

As Shabir requests:

An 85 yr old widow living insheltered housing. There is a SP charge included in rent. This tenant qualifies for SP relief due to being in receipt of HB.

The sheltered housing tenancy commenced in mid 1990s as a joint tenancy with her husband. They were passported through to the SP programme in 2003 en-bloc with all other sheltered housing tenants.

Her husband died in 2004. Tenancy unchanged as she was survivor of jt tenancy.

Now the SP team have recovered £3500 since she was not “the SP claimant” and did not make an SP claim in her own name.

I start from a position that there are no formal regulations covering SP (unless someone knows different) - particularly for sheltered housing where the SP charge is a condition of tenancy (i.e. part of the rent). It appears that the SP team is treating her as a new claimant from 2004.

In 2003 there were some arangements published by the OoDPM (office of deputy prime minister- remember that?) I take these as effectively transitional arrangements. Since then SP teams have more or less created their own arrangments for approving SP services and local administration.

I am minded to pursue a dispute via a complaint (up to ombudsman, if neccesary) on the main ground that she is not a “new” claimant and there is no obligation for her to “apply” for SP relief since she is protected by the 2003 transitional arrangements.

gw
forum member

Glasgow West Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 285

who would pay the cost to a LHA. would any cost be covered unter the rent charge and paid via Housing Benefit or would the LA supporting people team pay the balance.?