to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Social Fund Funeral Payment - cheque payable to Funeral Director

PCLC
forum member

Benefits Supervisor - Plumstead Law Centre, London

Send message

Total Posts: 240

Client accepted as responsible for funeral of her mother - the bill was paid and now Social Fund have sent her a cheque payable to the Director. I am just checking there will not be a problem with the bill having already been paid? Can they simply re-issue the cheque payable to her?

Thanks!

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

Yes they can.  Will want original cheque returned first however.  The other way, of course, is to get the funeral director to write out a cheque direct to the client.  Will probably save time.

PCLC
forum member

Benefits Supervisor - Plumstead Law Centre, London

Send message

Total Posts: 240

Thanks Nevip. This was my advice initially but the funeral directors either did not understand or did not want to understand - maybe they were worried about running it through their accounts again, I don’t know.

Just wanted to check that the fact that the bill has already been settled does not mean that she cannot have a “need” for the payment.

neilbateman
forum member

Welfare Rights Author, Trainer & Consultant

Send message

Total Posts: 443

The funeral director may be reluctant for various reasons, for example a misconception about fraud. 
More likely, depending on what accounts system is used, receiving payment and making a refund can complicate VAT accounting which is a bit of a pain at the best of times.