Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

HR mobility for an amputee

Lauren
forum member

Royal British Legion

Send message

Total Posts: 22

Hello all
Could anyone point me in the direction of a case that I could quote for an appeal for a DLA appeal against refusal of HR mobility for an amputee that uses a prosthetic leg?
Thanks
Lauren

dbcwru
forum member

Darlington Welfare Rights, Darlington Borough Council

Send message

Total Posts: 114

I’m not aware of any Commissioners Decisions, but Ive dealt with two amputee cases that were both eventually successful ( but both clients had additional bodily injuries too) . The main things are; how long they can wear the prosthesis for, how well does it fit, is it comfortable, does the client have alot of stump pain, how many days a week can they wear the prosthesis? , are there any skin problems on the stump (rubbing, blistering etc), does walking with the prothesis cause pain on the hips or lower back, problems in wet weather, how much control does the client have when using the prosthesis. The height of the person can affect how they manage and the amount of muscle wasting in the lower limbs following lack of use. Obviously where the amputation is will have a bearing to, there is usually better recovery when the amputation is below the knee. NHS provided prothetics are apparently pretty poor. The best option is to buy a custom made prosthetic.
DCS and the Tribunals tend to assume that once use got a false leg-away you go again! bit like them thinking if youve got a hearing aid is restores your hearing…..

Lauren
forum member

Royal British Legion

Send message

Total Posts: 22

Yes that is the attitude they have taken! Thanks for your comments which are helpful