to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Permitted work period for young person

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

Client started part-time work while age 17 and in college. Left college part way through the year, CB stopped, the work continues. Is now 18 and thinking of claiming ESA. Has never earned more than £95. I’m confused about when would the 52 week period of higher permitted work start from?

Domino
forum member

Advice Support Project, Lasa

Send message

Total Posts: 121

You may find this thread useful for answering your question: http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/555/

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

Thanks Domino, I had a search but missed that one.

Re Tony’s point, I can’t quite make sense of the “or” at the end of the previous clause, 4(a)(iii). If we just ignore it, and both 4(a) and 4(b) have to apply, then I agree with Tony that work prior to a period LCW should be irrelevant. If the “or” means that work falling under 4(a) or under 4(b) can each count as exempt work, then I can’t quite follow what the regulation is supposed to mean.

Ariadne
forum member

Social policy coordinator, CAB, Basingstoke

Send message

Total Posts: 504

There is definitely something wrong with this paragraph and it is probably down to changing the whole structure of the paragraph without looking at it properly. (c) doesn’t follow from the opening in the same way as (a) and (b) do and really ought not to have a number on it. “Is” at the beginning of (a) really ought to be tagged onto “which” immediately preceding, or replicated by another “is” at the beginning of (b).
The sense which I think is intended here is to give a string of definitions:
(4) Work which is…and which is (a) or (b). For the purposes….

I’ll investigate.