to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Amendment to ESA regs part 5?

Krissie Newton
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser, Freshwinds, Birmingham

Send message

Total Posts: 60

Is anyone aware of any amendments being made to the original ESA regs 2008, part 5, 30 (2) (b), with reference to a client being excluded from being treated as having LCW and therefore being paid pending assessment, if they have been treated as having LCW within the last 6 months?

Specifically, my client was found to not have LCW June 2011 due to failure to attend medical without good cause, reclaimed in September, and would have been within the 6 month exclusion period until 25th December 2011. The decision maker I spoke to maintains that payment of ESA at the assessment phase rate cannot start again from 26th December, even though she would no longer be within the 6 month period, because subsection (b) of ESA para 5 state that if the person is excluded on these grounds, then this exclusion will continue to be applied for the duration of the claim, until a determination is made, and regardless of whether it is now longer than 6 months.

There is no reference to this within the original regs that I have, and so unless there has been an amendment this doesn’t appear to be correct. I would like to be sure though before I potentially make a fool of myself to the manager that I am waiting to call me back!

[ Edited: 24 Feb 2012 at 02:17 pm by Krissie Newton ]
Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 510

Your interpretation looks correct to me. There has been an amendment to include failure of the old-style PCA as a qualifying event, as well as failure of the ESA test, but this should not affect the matter here.

Krissie Newton
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser, Freshwinds, Birmingham

Send message

Total Posts: 60

Thanks for the reassurance.