× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

My Fair London

Paul Treloar
forum member

Head of Policy, LASA

Send message

Total Posts: 842

A new campaign group has formed, ahead of London Mayoral elections later on this year, titled My Fair London.

Noting that London is one of the most unequal cities in the world, with the gap between rich and poor being huge, they say that evidence shows that everyone’s health and quality of life suffers as a result. They also say that crime is higher in more unequal societies, whilst trust and social mobility are lower. So this inequality is costing society and the taxpayer.

The London Equality Group thinks government should take action to reduce economic inequality, and they say so do three-quarters of Londoners. So they’re asking candidates for Mayor of London to take action to reduce inequality, and asking people to sign up to their petition backing the campaign.

My Fair London

Paul Treloar
forum member

Head of Policy, LASA

Send message

Total Posts: 842

Book a place at the My Fair London launch in central London: They are inviting the four candidates to respond to their challenge for a panel debate, chaired by Kate Picket (author of The Spirit Level). It is 5-7pm on Saturday 25th February.

Also on the panel are:

Michael Robinson , award-winning BBC journalist who will talk about his recent series, The Wealth Gap: The View from London, focussing particularly on the relationship between inequality and the property market in London.

Andrew Simms , former policy director at the New Economics Foundation, who will discuss his report, The Ratio, which explores pay inequality in the workplace and makes recommendations for how to change high differentials in pay.

Andy Hull , senior research fellow at the IPPR, who will talk about his work as vice chair of the Islington Fairness Commission and how it might be used as a model for a new London Fairness Commission, something advocated for in our manifesto

My Fair London Launch