Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

HB for under 25 years old

AVB
forum member

OUTREACH BARNET, Genesis Housing Group

Send message

Total Posts: 19

Hi just a quick question,

If someone is under 25 and lives in a studio flat is it correct that they can not be paid HB because they are not in shared accomodation?
This does not look correct to me but the council argues that this is the case.
Anyone any thoughts

Thanks

SElahi
forum member

Private Sector Housing, Blackburn with Darwen BC

Send message

Total Posts: 41

Agree with what hpinfopb said above.  Note that the age for shared accommodation rate is now under 35.  The only other thought I have is if there is a significant shortfall between the contractual rent and the LHA shared accommodation rate, it may raise a query as to how the claimant is able to afford to live.  They may be thinking that there is undeclared income. 

shabir

AVB
forum member

OUTREACH BARNET, Genesis Housing Group

Send message

Total Posts: 19

Hi the client does work and is expecting a baby / 14weeks to go/ , what they have told her is that once the baby is born she can do another application.

I need to check more details and I have not yet seen the letter, will keep you posted.

Thank you for your help

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

So it sounds llke Hbinfo is correct- client’s current income, in tandem with her low applicable amount and restricted LHA (shared accommodation rate) takes her out of HB. Once the baby is born her LHA will increase significantly (to the LHA 2 bedroom rate) hence the invitation to claim HB again then.

One observation- could she afford the rent previously? If she could, and hasn’t been in receipt of HB in the 52 weeks prior to the current claim, no rent restriction should be made for the first 13 weeks of her claim (HB reg 12D).