Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

‘Treating black as white’

Jon Shaw
forum member

Welfare Rights Service, CPAG

Send message

Total Posts: 98

Good afternoon all.

I am sure that I have read in a decision somewhere a reference to the ability of regulations made under a statutory scheme to ‘treat black as if it were white’ or similar. Unfortunately I can’t even remember which benefit was referred to and I don’t want to start on the 224 pages of results that a search for decisions containing ‘treated as’ on the UT website gives just yet…

I have a feeling it might be treating income as capital or vice versa, but that is very close to a complete guess. If anyone either knows exactly the decision I mean, or has a better idea of some parameters that could narrow my search, I would be eternally grateful.

Fear not, I will be duly embarassed if it is a case in which CPAG intervened. Thanks in advance,

Jon

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3783

Ariadne
forum member

Social policy coordinator, CAB, Basingstoke

Send message

Total Posts: 504

I remember this coming up in the debates in Parliament over some of the poers to create deeming provisions in the Jobseekers Bill as it then was - you know, circumstances in which people can be deemed to be available for work when they aren’t and vice versa in section 6 of the Act.

Jon Shaw
forum member

Welfare Rights Service, CPAG

Send message

Total Posts: 98

Thanks very much for the replies - greatly appreciated.

Jon