to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Social Landlords + HB verification

Plumduff
forum member

Debt Adviser,Southway Housing, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 7

Our local HB office has informed us we can only validate original documents if we get an RSL1 (authority from the tenant giving consent for the social landlord to liaise with the HB office for the lifetime of that claim)..

If we do not get an RSL1, we cannot validate documents.

I think this is wrong - as there is no mention of this in the validation framework and the RSL1 has nothing to do with validation.. Further if we later agree to provide validation for people other than our tenants, we obviously wouldnt get an RSL1 for them..

Dont really know what im asking other than has anyone else heard of this, or does this.. or has any views or thoughts on this to try to challenge them..??

Dianne

J Membery
forum member

Revenues and Benefits Manager, Aylesbury Vale DC

Send message

Total Posts: 134

It is really for the LA and RSL concerned to agree on the process used for verification.

Although these arrangements might well benefit both organisations, at the end of the day the LA can insist on you obtaining consent from the tenant if they wish to, and you can refuse to verify on behalf of the LA if you think they are being unreasonable.

Not 100% certain from your post if you are saying that you have an agreement in place but there is nothing in it to suggest this form is required. If that is the case then you might want to get on to whoever in the LA signed the agreement to find out what has changed.

Lorraine Cooper
forum member

Family Support, Barnardo's, Merthyr Tydfil

Send message

Total Posts: 132

The LA have overall responsibility for verification.  As an RSL you are acting only as an agent of the LA, and as a result, they can apply whatever conditions they desire to your verification.  Check the agreement that was signed, I know the DWP advice (and it is only advice) regarding RSL VF gives an RSL1 form and says it should be used.  I’ve worked for 2 LAs that used RSLVF, and they’ve both insisted on RSL1 forms being present.

SharonBoyd
forum member

Business Improvement Lead, Glasgow Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 9

We are an RSL that also does verification - first time of contact from a customer always has an RSL1 attached.

Plumduff
forum member

Debt Adviser,Southway Housing, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 7

Thanks for the replies. We generally do get an RSL1 as it has an obvious benefit for us. However we have never been informed by HB office that we HAVE to have it to verify. And indeed there may be a time a tenant wants us to verify documents with out giving us consent.. Therefore to me it seemed odd that they can insist on it..

Anyway, must calm down and stop letting them get to me I suppose. Thanks for the replies.

Di