× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Ministry of Justice spend £43 million on consultants

Paul Treloar
forum member

Head of Policy, LASA

Send message

Total Posts: 842

Daily Mail and Metro report that under Ken Clarke, the Ministry of Justice has spent over £40 million on private -
consultants since the 2010 election.

They report that Freedom of Information requests have revealed a spend of £43.3million since May 2010 and November last year, which is almost twice the amount of predicted annual savings from cutting welfare benefits from the scope of legal aid (£22million MoJ Impact Assessment 15 November 2010), or around 67% of the total savings from the cuts to scope of civil legal aid overall (£64 million, excluding family law).

£2m a month! Ken Clarke’s justice department blows more than £40m on private consultants since election

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

I wonder if they read this forum? Could we charge them, my car is getting a bit tired and I could do with a new one!

Paul Treloar
forum member

Head of Policy, LASA

Send message

Total Posts: 842

Tony Bowman - 19 January 2012 12:24 PM

Most interesting.

However, at the guaranteed risk of being a labelled a damp squib, the daily mail have shown themselves repeatedly to be untrustworthy fabricators of untruths. Why should we believe this just because it seemingly supports our cause.

Well, as noted above, it was also reported in this morning’s edition of the Metro.

Also found this MoJ letter dated May 2011 which details over £27 million spend on private consultants from May 2010 to March 2011.