Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

Anyone been to an Oral hearing at Upper Tribunal?

dbcwru
forum member

Darlington Welfare Rights, Darlington Borough Council

Send message

Total Posts: 114

Ive been directed to attend an oral hearing of one of my cases at Upper Tribunal-my first one. Anyone been? what to expect and any particular prep i need to do? Thanks

bigbill
forum member

Dumfries Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 127

dbcwru - 17 January 2012 02:06 PM

Ive been directed to attend an oral hearing of one of my cases at Upper Tribunal-my first one. Anyone been? what to expect and any particular prep i need to do? Thanks

I would not worry every one I have been to the Judge / Commissioner had already done the work for me and I had very little to do. Each time they gave the DWP solicitors a very, very hard time.

Paul Treloar
forum member

Head of Policy, LASA

Send message

Total Posts: 842

I would say, from experience at Commissioners as they were, that its good to be prepared and confident in your arguments.

In some ways, less is more, so concentrate on what grounds you think are the strongest and how you will describe those legal grouhds that back up your central argument.

I did always find the Commissioners very helpful, very enabling but also very strict about allowing you to veer too much off course. You also need to think about preparing skeleton arguments, legal precedents, and giving your suit a press of course.

Good luck, good outcomes, and enjoy.

SElahi
forum member

Private Sector Housing, Blackburn with Darwen BC

Send message

Total Posts: 41

I agree with Paul - particularly getting the skeleton argument and precedents sorted (don’t forget to send them in prior to the hearing).  You are about an hour away from Leeds - you could go and observe a hearing - that might help.

Shabir

dbcwru
forum member

Darlington Welfare Rights, Darlington Borough Council

Send message

Total Posts: 114

Thanks folks. Well I done most of my arguments in writing in advance anyway-I just need to double check and mark all the actual law references and caselaw.  Thanks again.