to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

IS to UC on reaching pension age

MaggieB
forum member

Dorchester CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 271

Hi have clients who are MAC, he is main IS claimant as a carer for his partner and is reaching pension age.  Has been tod they have to claim UC.  Trying to find out if there is any option to transfer IS claim to partner who is receiving PIP/Tax credits. 

Obviously she won’t have option to claim IS as a carer so this may fail but would like to keep them on LB if possible. Can the couples claim with carer’s addition continue but with her has the main claimant?

Been on hold to IS for an hour now and they cut me off before speaking to me….

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

MaggieB - 15 February 2024 02:07 PM

Hi have clients who are MAC, he is main IS claimant as a carer for his partner and is reaching pension age.  Has been tod they have to claim UC.  Trying to find out if there is any option to transfer IS claim to partner who is receiving PIP/Tax credits. 

Obviously she won’t have option to claim IS as a carer so this may fail but would like to keep them on LB if possible. Can the couples claim with carer’s addition continue but with her has the main claimant?

Been on hold to IS for an hour now and they cut me off before speaking to me….

The partner cannot claim IS as no new claims are possible now.

So they need to get their UC claim in at least two week’s before he reaches SPA to get the 2-week run on payment.

MaggieB
forum member

Dorchester CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 271

Could it not just be treated as a change of circs to change the main claimant?

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

MaggieB - 15 February 2024 03:30 PM

Could it not just be treated as a change of circs to change the main claimant?

Well no. The older person is claiming Income Support for themselves and their partner. The partner doesn’t have an IS claim in their own right and there is no mechanism to transfer claims between people.