Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

PIP renewal - client died

howards1
forum member

Sheffield Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 3

Hi,
I’ve assisted a client with a PIP renewal in January 2023 - renewal date was 11/02/23.
She had an award of ER Mob and SR DL - she meets criteria on renewal for ER DL and mob unchanged.
No decision has been made and I contacted PIP helpline 04/07/23 - still long wait times in excess of an hour! They advised that client’s renewal form has not even been looked at yet and they are currently working on May 22 renewals!!
Subsequently my client’s health has deteriorated and we requested a SR1 form to be submitted by her consultant. This was done on 10/07/23.
Sadly my client has now died and we still have no decision about her claim.
I’ve contacted PIP again today - they are having issues with their system nationally so limited information.

PIP have advised that client’s next of kin will be contacted to see if they want to continue with the claim.

(If the family have not yet notified the DWP of her death I’m hoping that the SR1 will be processed and a decision/award made before they notify - this would be the best option)

Surely the claim should be processed and any backdated payments should be made to client’s NOK up to the date of her death?? I can’t find any threads or caselaw about this issue.

really appreciate any help/thoughts etc :)

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3134

The DWP can appoint someone to deal with outstanding issues on a claim following someone’s death - see reg 59 C&P Regs - once the appointment is done it is basically dealt with under the same processes and any appropriate award up to the death could be made.

howards1
forum member

Sheffield Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 3

That’s useful to know thanks 😊